I’ve always loved exercising, when I was younger I used to play basketball, and do Tae Kwon Do in school. Now I go to the gym, and do Muay Thai once in a while. Of course, with most types of physical activity comes a lot of sweat, which makes my hair feel and look quite dull, and dries my hair out, not cool!
I wasn’t really concerned about it before, but recently, I’ve started loving going to salon and dyeing my hair, so obviously I’ve really started to noticed how unhealthy my hair has become. My sister has started making a bigger effort to take care of her hair since she started curling her hair like crazy, so she made a super easy home-made hair mask, so I thought I should give it a try too!
My sister and I have very different hair types, so I had to adjust the ingredients a bit since she has oily hair and my hair is very dry.
The hair mask is very easy to make, affordable, and you only have to do use it once a week to have healthier hair.
What you need:
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tablespoon of Olive Oil
- A willingness to experiment 🙂
- Mix two table spoons of Olive Oil with Egg Yolks well until it turns into a slightly creamy texture. (You only need the egg yolks if you have dry hair like me, the fat from the egg yolks helps to moisturize the hair)
- Massage the mixture into your hair from the roots to the tips. You can use your hand to distribute the hair mask, or comb. It’s better if your hair is slightly wet already before you apply the hair mask.
- Wait for the hair mask to soak in for around 20 minutes to an hour. (Your hair might feel weird while waiting, but don’t worry about it, it’s about the result at the end!)
- Wash your hair with cold water and shampoo
- Dry your hair as you normally do, and you are done! Simple, right?
The mixture should be enough for medium length hair. For short hair, just use 1 tablespoon of olive oil, for long hair, just add one more tablespoon of Olive Oil.
You can make this hair mask in advance, and use it for later. Store it in refrigerator and it’s good to go for one week.
The hair mask worked great on my hair, I know putting raw eggs on your hair is quite disgusting, but it’s definitely worth the result! I recommend using good quality extra virgin olive oil, it’s for your own hair, don’t use cheap olive oil! 🙂
The great thing about this hair mask is that it also works for oily hair. Just replace the egg yolks with egg whites. While egg yolk is too rich for oily hair, the egg whites contained bacteria eating enzymes that also help to remove the unwanted oil.
Here is a before an after photo. It’s actually a photo of my sister’s hair, I forgot to take some of my own, but it worked just as well on mine!